Friday, January 28, 2005

It's a bit over 3AM (I must be lonely) and I'm fighting insomnia (I almost wrote "nostalgia" - which fits too) by reading Chuck Klosterman's Sex, Drugs & Cocoa Puffs. I've spent days trying to encapsulate what makes Klosterman's recent work so aggrivating without indulging in the same presumptuous leaps in logic that have become his trademark (while I understand where Carl Wilson is coming from, I know too many egocentric, unself-questioning blue staters to go there). Then, on page 123, he drops the perfect line to sum up why everyone who isn't a straight white male American who wants to bang Pamela Anderson has a perfectly good reason to want to punch him in the face (and I've still got about a hundred pages of further exclusory criteria to go).

We all relate to Sonny the Cuckoo Bird.


Thanks, Chuck.

No comments: