Sunday, September 19, 2004

Man, that new Interpol album. I can't believe how much mileage they're getting out of their shtick. Distinctively awkward romantic declarations over dreamy guitars and martial rhythms. That's all they do and I can't stop listening. I used to say that Paul Banks' lyrics were ghastly but I find them so enjoyable and memorable that I have to hesitate. While his lyrics and vocal style are melodramatic and downright emo, there's a cool, composed wit that make them less dismissable than, say, Taking Back Sunday's. The difference between Turn On The Bright Lights and Antics is similar to that of Murmur and Reckoning: a little more rock, a little less reverb, increased vocal confidence and not the slightest drop-off in energy or inspiration. The lack of any blatant attempt at evolution might be off-putting for "next level" addicts, but all the raw materials that made the debut so endlessly listenable for me are still evident and effective.

No comments: