Monday, December 15, 2008

Sometimes I think what I need is a you intervention, yeah


#21) Madonna feat. Timbaland & Justin Timberlake, "4 Minutes"
Imagine the Bee Gees singing back-up on "D'Ya Think I'm Sexy?" Sure, it would have detracted from the song's novelty ("4 Minutes"' lack of clarity - brand or otherwise - is probably why "Obaaama, uh!" having four years to save the world didn't become a meme), but the aural excess would have been too too too.


#22) MIA, "Paper Planes"
Yes, I heard it last year. And I knew it was a single, too. But 2008 is when it became a single for most, including me. Pitchfork praise couldn't get me past that KGB ref, a stereotypically stiff Letterman performance or rhyming "wireless" and "gas." Pineapple Express, that drunk guy on the subway quoting more than TI would and MIA getting her sandwich cart on a giant screen in Times Square did the trick.

No comments: