Sunday, December 21, 2008

I won't let you let me down so easily


#9) Hot Chip, "Ready For The Floor"
Any well-crafted homage to "Batdance" and Philippe Decouflé is going to enamor me to the song it promotes, but this was my favorite Hot Chip track before I saw the video. Equally playful and sentimental, a dash of clarity away from irresistible.


#10) Death Cab For Cutie, "I Will Possess Your Heart"
It took a long time for me to stop calling him Ben Gelding, but increasing exposure to their increasing hookcraft got me to overcome my fear of an emo Garfunkel. Now I credit his poise and sanity for helping them avoid REM's gigantism as they energize for arenas and Radiohead's abstraction as they expand their sound. This eight-minute career high makes similar feats like "Moby Octopad" and "Paranoid Android" sound respectively schleppy and obtuse. Too assured for indie - call it "post-pop-rock," maybe.

No comments: