Wednesday, October 13, 2004

I really don't know how full-time critics do it. Spent the day listening to music I know by heart rather than breaking the seal on any of the new stuff I should be checking out. Between new albums by bands they already know about and the new ones they should be discovering, I don't know where one fits in, like, a life.

That said, if someone would like to give me the financial impetus to focus solely on that which is new, feel free.

Mikael Wood's Antics review is the best I've read by far.

I take pride in the fact that I was one of the first people in "the blogosphere" (haha or at least on ILX) to hear Eminem's "Just Lose It" and genuinely like it. Lots of people appear to be coming around to the fact that there's no way a song, nay a SINGLE, by a megastar that focuses solely on his latent homoeroticism and I Love The 90s references can be bad. Especially when the hook-to-minute ratio is even more dense than it was on "My Band." The video is equally slapdash and bonkers. You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find you get what you need.

My favorite take on the track on that thread is by Daria G: It's like when I was in high school and decided to be in the talent show with my dance class because the dance was completely uncool and embarrassing, but it would shock the hell out of everyone, so I got to enjoy watching everyone's jaw drop and the satisfaction of knowing I had done something really uncool on purpose.

No comments: