Wednesday, December 03, 2008

I am an introvert, an excavator


#45) Akon, "Right Now (Na Na Na)"
808s & Heartbreak stripped of its assholery (yay) and grating sound (I'll live) by Akon's consummate professionalism. Admittedly, his narrative doesn't lend itself to the easy thinkpiece, so it may hold less value for some.


#46) Santogold, "L.E.S. Artistes"
Fans are right to be annoyed by the lazy MIA comparisons - comparisons her label encouraged, as indie won't buy a veteran ska-popper with a Siouxsie streak on her own merits (I doubt the former A&R rep in question minded them, either). I don't have any more use for her shouting than I did Gwen Stefani's, and I bet Gwen would have taken "Lights Out"'s hook from Bubbling Under to my top 20. Tegan & Sara wouldn't have improved on this conflicted self-coronation, though. And the second half of this video is my favorite of the year.

No comments: