Thursday, November 11, 2004


waaah.


Made a CD of songs I've got on MP3 that I might want to play next time I DJ at Roustabout. I really should stop judging songs based on how they sound on my computer. Them's some crappy speakers I got. Discman is preferable - I've been loving Saul Williams' "Grippo" ever since I first heard the guitar loop and I didn't even catch most of the lyrics until today. At least now I know the right process with which to appreciate the finer songs I encounter.

Afros - Hoe Cakes
Chap - I Am Oozing Emotion
Daniyel - Dale Tra
Funkadelic - One Nation Under A Groove
Futon - Gay Boy
I Am The World Trade Center - Love Tragedy
Rick James - Give It To Me
Local H - Toxic
McLusky - To Hell With Good Intentions
My Chemical Romance - I'm Not OK (I Promise)
Plus-Tech Squeeze Box - The Marvin Show!
Presets - The Girl And The Sea
Queen - Dancer
William Shatner - Common People
Swell Maps - Midget Submarines
TKO Posse - Your Daddy's On The Pipe
TV On The Radio - New Health Rock
Wiley - Pies
Saul Williams - Grippo
Young Heart Attack - Tommy Shots

If you checked all the mp3 blogs on my links page, you'd have the majority of these songs, and you would be awesome(r). "Your Daddy's On The Pipe" and "Hoe Cakes" are especially noteworthy. Should I be laughing at a group of kids mocking somebody for having drug-addicted parents (this song would be Another Bad Creation on crack if not for the title)? Should I be laughing at a group of guys shoving food in their girlfriends' mouths Ike Turner-style? Probably not. But I am. In honor of that unrepenting asshole who makes my jaw drop in amused disblief, I'll call it the Eamon factor. As my occasional co-DJ Megan once noted as I played "Salt Shaker" after an alt-country band, I like being naughty.

Btw, if you haven't seen Eamon's "I Love Them Ho's/Girl Act Right" video yet...no comedian could think this up. It's on his site...just...wow. Makes Vanilla Ice look like Lou Barlow. It's like the wet dream of the biggest dick in your high school brought to you in vibrant technicolor. And yes, that's Milk Dee standing next to him, Audio Two fans.

That My Chemical Romance song (you can hear it on their site) will probably make my final top 30 singles list for 2004. Easily the best pop-punk hit I've heard this year, though there's been little competiton. I thought this year was going to be a reprise of 2002 (check out my P'n'J ballot from that year - twas a renaissance), but it didn't turn out that way: Distillers and Good Charlotte got egregiously down in the mouth, Desaparecidos, Weezer and All-American Rejects post-poned their follow-ups and Kelly Osbourne is in the studio with Linda Perry (ick). I really hope I like Gold Medal. Some of the more amusing moments on "I'm Not Ok (I Promise)" lead me to believe that we're headlong into the self-aware farce period of this current wave of whine. I can relate with the mixture of discontent and silliness.

No comments: