Wednesday, November 17, 2004

I've been searching for another established critic with a rich career to pour over, and after reading his Encore review for the Voice, I think I need to pick up some Greg Tate. He avoids mentioning "free men" in hip-hop like Kanye West and Outkast and ignores Eminem's long list of safe and easy targets who aren't "negro," but I can see why he erred on the side of inflammatory. The popcrit nation is reacting with horror and intrigue, but no one questions whether or not Eminem is that important in the first place. I won't apologize for my own fascination (I now get to make Neil Young metaphors to go with my Prince ones), but I'd rather hear him dismissed by someone with perspective than young fans bummed that the jokes are crass and the emo drags (I guess they missed the parts on his "classic" where the Insane Clown Posse suck it and he shrieks about how radio won't play his jams).

No comments: