Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Listened to the radio a bit today. I really should do it more often.

Ok, so in "Sunshine" Lil' Flip notes that he wants "a lady in the streets, but a freak in the sheets." Ludacris made a similar claim in Usher's "Yeah," but where Luda sounds comic and self-aware, Lil' Flip comes off like he's deadly serious and totally oblivious to what a hypocritical, possessive shit this makes him (Pharrell would get all "She Wants To Move" if he saw that shit going down in a club). Thankfully, right afterwards they played Pitbull's "Culo," on which the pro-freak Pitbull says that the last thing he needs is a lady. Since none of the rappers in question could be mistaken for a gentleman, I think Pitbull's the most likeable here. It feels silly to commend a rapper for offering cunnilingus (though shaving is a prequisite) and an "even exchange," but in the fuck-crazy world of modern rap, this qualifies as enlightenment. Plus he's got Lil' Jon throwing vocal firecrackers all over the place rather than some anonymous girlfriend cooing on the chorus.

Right after THAT I got to hear LL Cool J's "Hush." As much as I enjoyed "Headsprung" I was a bit disturbed by how anonymous L sounded on the track. "Hush" returns his vocals to the forefront, but the cartoonish-even-for-Mr.-Smith chorus and the "everything will be ok if you do it my way" sentiment make for a wack combination. I do like these lines a lot:

God willin, we still be doin' our thing
when my six-pack's faded
and rap's outdated
but that's many years from now, so don't rush

No comments: