Friday, September 05, 2008

Eight months in, I've seen 25 movies released in 2008 (some late December '07 films are also included). Here they are, in order of preference.

1. Harold & Kumar: Escape From Guantanamo Bay
2. Teeth
3. Tropic Thunder
4. The Dark Knight
5. Iron Man
6. Forgetting Sarah Marshall
7. Doomsday
8. Pineapple Express
9. The Signal
10. The Ruins
11. Hamlet 2
12. Cloverfield
13. Charlie Wilson’s War
14. Rambo
15. Untraceable
16. Step Up 2: The Streets
17. The Happening
18. Get Smart
19. Be Kind Rewind
20. There Will Be Blood
21. Juno
22. Semi-Pro
23. Redbelt
24. 88 Minutes
25. 21

I've got four months to improve the crap out of this list. Charlie Wilson's War cannot be in my final top 20 (or 30, God willing). Recommendations?

5 comments:

Steve said...

Uh, watch "There Will Be Blood" again?

The Manthony said...

I dunno, I still haven't seen any Malick or Ford. I might go back to it after I have a better sense of what exactly he's trying to imitate, and whether he merely succeeds or possibly improves on it. This tribute to arid cinema might be livelier than the real thing, thanks to DDL.

Anonymous said...

Elegy, In Bruges, Step-brothers..yesh.

Anonymous said...

You're about to have a new No. 1, sir, and its name is "In Bruges."

The Manthony said...

A Colin Farrell movie with a midget-intensive trailer didn't strike me as too promising, but I'll give it a try.

I actually first saw the trailer for Bruges the same day I saw the trailer for Cassandra's Dream and Pride And Glory (his movie with Edward Norton that keeps getting delayed a year). It was kind of horrifying.