Friday, April 15, 2005

My ratings on Stylus' US Singles Jukebox this week:

Pitbull feat. Lil' Jon "Toma" [9]
112 feat. Foxy Brown "U Already Know" [7]
Weezer "Bevery Hills" [6]
Baby Bash feat. Akon "Baby I'm Back" [6]
Gwen Stefani "Hollaback Girl" [6]
System Of A Down "B.Y.O.B." [4]

The average rating of the other members of the staff:

Gwen Stefani "Hollaback Girl" [7.4]
System Of A Down "B.Y.O.B." [7.0]
Baby Bash feat. Akon "Baby I'm Back" [6.2]
Pitbull feat. Lil Jon "Toma" [5.6]
112 feat. Foxy Brown "U Already Know" [4.8]
Weezer "Bevery Hills" [3.8]

I am surrounded by System Of A Down fans (and this song is no "Chop Suey," folks) on a pop jukebox jury. I joined because I care. If Weezer had merely added power chords and big drums to a cover of "The Joker" I would have given them an 8. Rivers singing confidently about tree shaking and midnight toking? WOOP WOO! It says something that a Steve Miller cover would make the dude sound more mature.

I finally saw the video for "Tip Drill" on BET Uncut, which does for ass what 120 Minutes did for pastiness. Weird how they incorporated that horror movie gimmick where you show a scene on camcorder. We get glossy, exaggerated stripper/rapper biz intercut with clips of desperate dudes drunkenly harassing dumbfounded doe-eyeds. Song doesn't even have much Nelly to it! A following video (from North Carolina, I believe) featured some disturbingly amateurish jiggling next to airsprayed paintings of Big Pun and Frederick Douglass. Dayton, OH also felt the need to represent. No Loot Records, too. The show was immediately followed by the ministry of Robert Tilton. Mindblowing.

No comments: