Tuesday, April 05, 2005

First quarter report! The seven albums from 2005 I've heard that I might still own in their entirety at the end of the year.

1. Electric Six, Senor Smoke
Mr. President, make a little money sending people you don't know to Iraq?
Mr. President, I don't like you! You don't know how to rock!

Listen to "Rock'n'Roll Evacuation," "Bite Me," and "Be My Dark Angel" on Realplayer. Geniuses can figure out how to hear the rest of the tracks as well.

2. Spoon, Gimme Fiction
A great groove band's grooviest to date. Stream "I Turn My Camera On" here.

3. Fischerspooner, Odyssey
What the Dandy Warhols were going for on Welcome To The Monkey House and what LCD Soundsystem should have been going for on most of LCD Soundsystem ("Tribulations" roolz, "On Repeat" droolz). No sound samples, sorry.

4. Petra Haden, The Who Sell Out
I don't miss the testosterone at all. Listen to lil' bits of it at Audio Lunchbox.

5. The Evens, The Evens
TWEE-AN MACKAYE! Stream "All These Governors" here.

6. Audible, Sky Signal
Further listens will either reveal what makes this album so superior to most anonymous indie rock (I think it might be the drums) or reduce its appeal to inoffensiveness. I'll keep you informed. Download "Sunday Bell" here.

7. Ben Lee, Awake Is The New Sleep
They play Good Charlotte on the radio, and that's the way I like it...They don't play me on the radio, and that's the way I like it! Recommended to those looking for a middle ground between Conor Oberst and John Mayer (anyone?). Listen to tracks from the album on his site.

As I only keep 20 full-lengths from any year, this one's looking pretty good so far. Plenty more to check out too!

(as noted in the comments box, Jess came up with "Twee-an." Hell if I'm leaving "Twee Ian" up now.)

No comments: