Friday, April 13, 2007

I'm visiting State College, and almost immediately upon arrival I was reminded how much I've missed radio. Current hits like Xtina's "Candyman" and Avril's "Girlfriend," songs I could find enough quibbles with to delete when they existed solely in the context of my windows media player, sound outstanding when driving around or getting a McLanahan's sub (which I called a hoagie while standing in line! Philly should be proud). I don't know if it's the size of the place, the emotional baggage of visiting my hometown, or the change in sound quality (I have no idea whether mp3 or radio is worse), but hearing married teen poppers use the Andrew Sisters and echo effects to praise penile girth and incoherently trash competition means a little more to me here.

I've considered putting the US top 40 on my ipod as a placebo, but I'll also have to throw on a bunch of earlier hits like "Pon De Replay," "I Don't Wanna Know" and "Semi-Charmed Life" to truly re-create the vibe of randomized pop cheese. As long as I can't get good reception in the city, it might be worth it. No ads, too!

No comments: