Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I never replaced the discman that fell in the bus toilet a few months ago, and the only reason I'm tempted now is the disconnect I feel from the pop chart. Without scanning stations while out & about or walking to work and back, my relationship with the pop song feels more isolated and theoretical. I miss experiencing them as outdoor ambience - even a great song like "Check On It" or "Yo (Excuse Me Miss)" has really only been experienced through my computer. Aside from those two, there are only two songs on this week's top 50 (that weren't in my 2005 top 50) that I'm really crazy about, both being by the All-American Rejects, who do better on the pop chart than the rock - just like Poison. I'm not yet ready to say this disinterest is the chart's fault, not until I've given more of the other songs their due attention.

There are, however, a few that I know are complete shit:

Daniel Powter, "Bad Day" (could only be dignified if he sighed "Maxwell House" at the end)

Natasha Bedingfield, "Unwritten" (who do I have to blow for Robyn to get this kind of promotion?)

T-Pain, "I'm N Luv (Wit A Stripper)" (alternate album title: Da Doosh Wit Da Vokoda)

Bon Jovi, "Who Says You Can't Go Home" (haven't heard it, but I've never slammed my dick in a door either)

Fall Out Boy, "Sugar, We're Going Down" (I refuse to believe there's ever been a time in my life where I could have stomached this)

No comments: