Thursday, September 01, 2005

Addendum to previous post: While I can almost understand pointing out the whereabouts of your merch stand if it's tucked away in some truly illogical location, offering gratuitous assistance in purchasing your products is still one of the lamest types of stage patter I can fathom. How often is someone in the audience just dying to buy your shit but unable to figure out how? I've seen bands point out wares about two yards away from the stage. I realize most bands don't give it (or anything) much thought, but by doing this you're begging for more of my money and demeaning my intelligence at the same time. Not cool.

Prequisite Fugazi quote: "When I was 16 or 17, we couldn't play in clubs, we'd just go off and play in the basement of some suburban home. Forty kids would come over and dance like maniacs, the cops would come and then we would all go home. I didn't need 900 t-shirt designs. We just made up our own circuit. Now the kids come to our gigs and ask for our t-shirts or our fucking baseball caps." (Guy Picciotto, Dance Of Days: Two Decades Of Punk In The Nation's Capital)

No comments: