Monday, October 08, 2007

Top Ten Of 2007 That Weren't In My Last Top Ten Of 2007

Against Me!, New Wave

People bummed by the new Springsteen (any self-respecting fan should be, but I doubt he has any self-respecting fans left) should check out this A+ real rock cheese. Now this is colon blow!

Chromeo, Fancy Footwork

It's possible that I'd be nonplussed by this if I'd heard everything they were ripping off, but I'll still take the best Stereolab over Neu. Plus, I think I have heard a healthy amount of '80s electro, thank you very much.

Clinic, Visitations

Fresher after four albums than Linkin Park after three!

Electric Six, I Shall Exterminate Everything Around Me That Restricts Me From Being The Master

When there's a youtube for this album, I will share the youtube for this album. Don't ever think I wouldn't. Don't you ever think it.

Roky Erickson, You're Gonna Miss Me Soundtrack

The 12 tracks here may look skimpy compared to the 21 on You're Gonna Miss Me: The Best Of Roky Erickson, or the 43 on the I Have Always Been Here Before box. But better to leave the listener hungry for more than certain they've heard more than they need to. Plus, unlike on the best-of, the title track on this ain't a live recording.

Lloyd, Street Love

I was genuinely surprised to see how Omarion he comes off in videos; the album's lush ease promised something more assured and adult. This bodes well for the future, as the guy's just old enough to drink.

Rakes, Ten New Messages

No post-punk dance band has matter-of-factly bopped through its sophomore slump this consistently since REM's Reckoning, and in both cases I actually prefer it to the debut. And if Sleater-Kinney's Dig Me Out counts as "post-punk dance," that fits too.

Rihanna, Good Girl Gone Bad

This year's Itunes queen, casual and comfortable in a world of cheap stimulus.

Tegan & Sara, The Con

Having realized their sound with So Jealous, they start to play with its parameters here - not aggressively fucking with it, but definitely getting a feel for what it can take.

Timbaland, Timbaland Presents: Shock Value

Lots of dance-pop, some pop-rap, some teary ballads, some mall-punk, She Wants Revenge - Timbaland seems to think my "2007 hits" playlist would sound better if he produced all of it. His beats, so lively if hardly futuristic, make a great case.

4 comments:

Al said...

Lloyd is totally old enough to drink already.

The Manthony said...

which is why I said he's "just old enough to drink." Supposedly he's 21.

The Manthony said...

ah, I can see how to reads like I'm saying that in the future he will be. I'll change it to "as".

Anonymous said...

I still like Lloyd's teenager schtick a whole lot eve though Gotti made him him push it way further. The non-single TAKE YOU HOME was easily the highlight of STREET LOVE for me, due on no small part to the lyrics about "poppin tags" at the mall.