Friday, November 11, 2005

The downside of having a taste for irony: Ever since Clear Channel put out that ridiculous list of songs that couldn't be played in the aftermath of the 9/11, I've always chuckled at the idea that somebody who heard the Gap Band's "You Dropped A Bomb On Me" while driving to work might pull off the road and start crying as traumatic memories filled their mind. Now I can't hear "You Dropped A Bomb On Me" without having a montage of WTC-related footage (not unlike the video they made for U2's "Walk On") playing out in my head. The image that coincides with the whistling sound effect is horrifically logical, and there's nothing I can do about it.

The upside: I like a lot of music my peers consider annoying crap.

The downside: I actually check out the new tracks on the Limp Bizkit hits comp in hopes they'll be enjoyable. They're not. "Why" isn't as "Battle Of Evermore" as it should be (though I agree that "My So-Called Life is so good") and "Lean On Me" didn't make Results May Vary for a reason (it was an outtake, right? It can't be a new track). "Bittersweet Home," the promised 'mash-up' of Motley Crue and the Verve, starts with a spare drum machine and Casio - very "Within Your Reach" - but then guitars sludge up the track and Fred loses his karaoke privileges for life. Or at least until Limp finally releases that version of "Total Eclipse Of The Heart" they once promised.

The upside: I'm pretty excited about their threats to tour again. I've never had the chance to see them. As Fred says in his latest blog post, "let's get this puppy up and moving."

"Why" is growing on me, actually.

No comments: